M Taylor posted an update 2 months, 2 weeks ago
“Biblical Theology: A Canonical, Thematic, and Ethical Approach” is a great and very comprehensive title on Christian theology. The title provides detailed analysis on each biblical book and focuses on 3 main areas for each of the 66 books: themes, ethics, and how the book fits into the overall Bible. Just under 1000 pages, the title is comprehensive, detailed, and conservative in its approach.
After reading through enough of this title, here’s what I like:
– Very detailed outline in the beginning of the book. For example, if you want to read the themes of Isaiah, go to page 203. Want to read about the ethics of Psalms? Go to page 282. How about the storyline of Mark in the Bible? See it on page 436. Very easy to access information on a particular book.
– The scholarship is conservative and yet relatively easy for the layperson to read and understand.
– Very well organized and smooth flow from chapter to chapter. The book is organized by Old Testament and New Testament and further organized by the types of Old Testament and New Testament books (law, prophets, writings, gospels, Acts, Letters of Paul, General Epistles, and Apocalypse).
– Comprehensive bibliography and footnotes for reference and further study.
– Helpful scripture index and subject index in case you want to read more about specific Bible verses or particular Bible subjects.
– Print font is large enough to easily read.
– Suitable for pastor, layperson, personal study, and sermon/Bible study preparation.
The only “complaint” I have is that the title is so comprehensive, the book is a little heavy to carry around! Would recommend keeping this at home or your study unless you don’t mind carrying heavy books around! Very good title and highly recommended.
I was given a review copy by Crossway in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.