M Taylor posted an update 3 months, 1 week ago
With the recent and past revelations of spiritual abuse in the church, “Evangelical Pharisees” by Michael Reeves is a great and timely read. The author pulls no punches and as an evangelical, he rightly points out that there are some modern-day Pharisees in the church. A quick read, the book is around 100 pages and covers many points, including:
– 3 major mistakes of the Pharisees and 3 essentials of the gospel.
– Instead of seeking to honor and glorify God, the Pharisees (like some in today’s church) sought the praise and acceptance of people.
– Having head knowledge of the Bible is not enough – we must let the Holy Spirit transform us.
– Signs of Christians falling into the Pharisee mindset of self-reliance.
– The self-reliant form of performance-based Christianity does not satisfy.
– The Pharisees, like some modern-day church members, were obsessed with outward appearances and performance than inward purity of their hearts.
– The danger of seeking the approval of people instead of God.
What I liked about the book:
– Easy to read and understand.
– Addresses a very important point in today’s church.
– Smooth transition from chapter to chapter.
– Helpful scripture index for further study.
– Good footnotes.
Great read and recommended. I was given a review copy by Crossway in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.