M Taylor posted an update 3 months, 2 weeks ago
In a world where the church is becoming more ethnically diverse, “Churches, Cultures, & Leadership” is a great and timely read. Around 270 pages, the book addresses many topics on the subject, including:
– The relationship between theology, society, and ethnicity (Jesus was able to do it and so should we in the power of the Holy Spirit).
– Different ways people interact in various cultures.
– How different cultural worldviews are present in and influence the church.
– Suggestions for how people in the church need to acknowledge and deal with the challenges in a more ethnically diverse church.
– The need for the local church to understand and operate in the culture without compromising biblical integrity.
– 5 principles for reflecting theologically on the culture surrounding a particular church.
– Relationship between collectivism and the individual in various cultures.
– Communication dynamics in various cultures.
– Responsibilities facing church leaders.
After reading the book, here’s what I liked:
– Excellent end of chapter summary of the main points covered.
– Comprehensive bibliography and footnotes for further study.
– Many helpful tables and charts.
– While an academic read, the book is relatively easy to read and understand.
– Authors are very knowledgeable about the topics covered.
– Smooth flow from chapter to chapter (not a choppy read that bounces back and forth).
– Addresses a very important topic in today’s church.
– Very well organized.
Very helpful resource for anyone interested in a more effective church in the culture the reader may be in. Recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.