M Taylor posted an update 3 months ago
“Five Views On The New Testament Canon” by Stanley Porter and Benjamin Laird is a great read on as the title mentions: differing views on how the New Testament books were selected to be in the Bible. Around 280 pages, the book centers around a few key questions:
– What determined would be the New Testament Canon?
– What is the definition of a Canon?
– What are the different historical perspectives of New Testament Canon?
– What led to the different perspectives of New Testament Canon?
– What is the relationship between the New Testament and other Christian literature?
What I like about the book:
– While an academic title, the book is relatively easy to read and understand.
– Very good description of the different views (Conservative Evangelical, Progressive Evangelical, Liberal Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Orthodox).
– Perspectives from scholars with differing views.
– Good response by the contributors on the various views.
– Well-thought out and respectful dialogue (proving once again, you can disagree while being respectful towards others).
Great read, recommended, and helpful for understanding the differing views of the establishment of New Testament Canon. I was given a review copy by Kregel in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.