M Taylor posted an update 3 months, 2 weeks ago
“A Just Mission” is a great read challenging people to do mission work different from the popular paternalistic and “I know better than you” approach used by some in the Western world. Around 200 pages, some of the many topics addressed include:
– How poor countries are dependent on the Western world for financial support and the resulting control over the way missions are done.
– The temptation for Christianity in the West to focus on comfort and convenience instead of sacrifice and serving others.
– Bureaucracy that gets in the way of ministering to people.
– The West’s assumption that financial poverty always results from spiritual poverty.
– The importance of relationships and treating others of other nations and cultures with respect instead of condescension.
– The emotional manipulation that can happen in short-term missions work.
– Suggested good practices for effective short-term mission trips.
The title is easy to read, thought-provoking, and challenges the reader to treat others of different cultures with unconditional respect. Great read and recommended.
I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.