M Taylor posted an update 4 months ago
“Liturgical Mission” by Winfield Bevins is a good read for anyone with some sort of church background, whether liturgical or non-liturgical. Around 200 pages, the book addresses many topics, including:
– The tension between the old church traditions and new trends.
– Contributing factors to the growth of church liturgy and liturgy is making a comeback in the evangelical community.
– importance of connecting liturgy with the church’s mission.
– Various ways modernity has hurt the church.
– The identity crisis faced by Christians today.
– Ways liturgy can prepare believers for the mission God has called them to.
– Characteristics of the two main sacraments in the church: baptism and communion.
– How the Lord’s Prayer prepares us for worship.
– The Trinity’s role in the church’s mission.
– Suggestions on how to incorporate liturgy to a particular group (respectfully, properly, and benefits everyone involved).
The book is well-written, thoughtful, and a good read for incorporating more liturgy into church services. Enjoyable read and recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.