M Taylor posted an update 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Practically everyone talks to themselves, whether verbally and mentally. “Hold That Thought” by Gem Fadling is a very good read for monitoring the thoughts we allow into our minds and how to respond to those thoughts. Around 180 pages, the book covers many topics, including:
– Be careful of dwelling only on the thoughts that come to our mind instead of listening to the Holy Spirit and His thoughts about you.
– The danger of toxic positivity (dwelling only the positive to the exclusion to problems we face and issues we struggle with, lest we develop an unrealistic viewpoint of life).
– Importance of placing our hope in God, His love for us, and His ability to heal us.
– Learn to push back against the harmful thoughts we may encounter in our lives.
– True freedom involves us being responsible for our lives while also allowing others the freedom to what they choose and experiencing the consequences of those choices.
– Getting in touch with the God-given longings and desires on our heart.
– Enjoying and being the unique person that God created you to be.
– Show grace to yourself.
What I like about this title:
– Helpful end of chapter questions to ask yourself.
– Very readable.
– Good practical and spiritual solutions.
– Realistic reading (not full of pious platitudes and empty positivity).
Overall, a great read and recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.