M Taylor posted an update 3 months ago
“Necessary Christianity” by Claude Alexander is a great read for the follower of and believer in Jesus Christ on what he/she needs to do as commanded in the Bible. I attended the church Alexander serves a few years ago and live in the area. Hence, my interest in the book.
The title covers many good points, including:
– The mature Christian knows the importance of focus (in other words, stop focusing on what the world tells you to do and instead do what God calls you to do!).
– The Christian life is dynamic instead of stable (beware of complacency).
– Mature believers take pleasure in having their steps ordered by the Lord.
– We must not allow others to interrupt God’s plan for our life (this was one of my most favorite points).
– Live with a sense of urgency in what God has called you to do.
– A focused and God-directed life is also a tension-filled life.
– God will direct us in unconventional and unusual ways.
What I like about the book:
– While a quick and short read (around 100 pages, the author makes many excellent points).
– Good writing style (gets to the point and doesn’t beat around the bush nor long-winded).
– Covers many relevant topics on the subject of a focused life.
– Helpful discussion and reflection questions.
– Based on the Bible and not just a touchy-feely motivational pep talk.
Overall, a great read and recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.