M Taylor posted an update 1 year, 1 month ago
In a day and age when church attendance and involvement is declining and those in the church spend too much time pointing their fingers at the world instead of humbling ourselves before God Almighty, “What If Jesus Was Serious About The Church?” is a great read. The writer, an evangelical Christian does not write with an ax to grind but is burdened like many others in the church are (and more need to be).
Around 230 pages, some of the topics addressed include:
– God cares more about His people than church structure.
– The tendency for many churches to try to operate too much like a business instead of a church.
– The church belongs to Jesus, not people.
– Emphasis on a personal relationship with Christ and not focusing enough on our corporate identity within the church.
– Instead of reflecting the divisions in our society, the church needs to show more unity.
– Being careful of the tendency of using anger to motivate others to action (people can overreact).
– Tendency for churches to run their members into the ground through busy church work instead of being concerned about people’s souls and spiritual/physical well-being.
– The danger of celebrity pastors.
Many other topics are covered. Here’s what I like about the book:
– Easy to read and understand.
– Full of excellent insights on the state of today’s American church and the need to change for the better.
– Writer doesn’t have an ax to grind (pastors, members, etc. do not need to get defensive about the author’s comments – he is burdened by what he sees in the church).
– Covers many relevant topics.
– Helpful footnotes for further reading.
Great title and will be read again. Recommended. I was given a review copy by Moody Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.