M Taylor posted an update 9 months, 3 weeks ago
Just finished reading “Reogranized Religion” and believe the book to be very enlightening and a fair representation of today’s evangelical church. Some of the topics addressed include:
– Stories of people who have been disappointed by the church (feel like they’re really not accepted because of their political beliefs).
– Reasons why people are leaving the church (increasingly politicized, people not practicing the love of Jesus towards others who differ with them, focus on busy programs instead of building strong friendships and fellowships, the business approach many churches seem to use, people burned out on church and life because of exhaustion, etc.).
– Examples of churches whose attendance is declining, especially after COVD-19.
– The widespread problem of racism that still exists in the church.
– Signs that the church is weakening in America.
After reading the book, here’s what I like:
– Easy to read, follow, and understand.
– The author, an experienced reporter, seems to be fair in his comments and does not have an ax to grind.
– Covers many relevant topics.
– The author sounds a warning that those in the church need to heed.
– Good bibliography for further reading.
The problems mentioned in the book are similar to many of the problems mentioned in the New Testament (especially in the Apostle Paul’s letters to the church). While some may get defensive about this book, to me, the author is supportive of the local and does not want to see the church weaken even further. Church leaders and those serving in the church would be well advised to read this book and prayerfully consider what part they can play in strengthening their local church.
I was given a review copy by Worth Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.