M Taylor posted an update 10 months, 1 week ago
Whatever your political affiliation or view on America, “How To Be A Patriotic Christian” by Richard Mouw is a balanced and thought-provoking read in today’s hyper-partisan times. A quick read, the title is around 150 pages and covers many applicable topics, including:
– Similarities between Psalm 72 and the purposes of government.
– Being patient with those you disagree with (AMEN!).
– Be willing to learn from those with differing viewpoints (even if you strongly disagree with them, you can surely find something to learn from their viewpoint).
– Christians can be more passionate about being an American than being a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ.
– Our ultimate loyalty is to Jesus Christ, not America.
– Base our hope in God and not human nature.
– Political uses of religious belief.
– 4 guidelines for working through political differences with others.
The book is well-written, written from a Christian perspective, respectful of those the author disagrees with, easy to read and undersatnd, and may be completed in a few sittings. Very good reminder to be civil and respectful towards others, regardless of their beliefs. Recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.