M Taylor posted an update 1 month, 2 weeks ago
“Associate Pastors” is a great read for current or aspiring church associate pastors who, by virtue of the position, pastor between the church senior pastor and church members. Some of the many important topics covered include:
– 3 common aspects of an associate pastor: relation with the senior pastor, working as managers in the church, and dealing with ambiguity.
– The futility of trying a “power grab” in a church (pastors are to be leaders and servants, not dictators).
– The different types of “pastoring” an associate pastor does in a church.
– The importance of having discernment when trying to make wise decisions.
– Critical ministry skills an associate pastor must have.
– Importance of the associate participating in ongoing learning.
– Being careful not to let a business mentality approach override a sound biblical and spiritual approach when operating the church.
My thoughts after reading this book:
– Easy to read and understand, smooth flow from chapter to chapter, and contains many helpful charts and diagrams used by the author to make a point and for enhancing the reader’s understanding.
– Contains a very helpful bibliography for further reading.
– Like the repeated point of not treating the church as just a business.
– Good footnoting and quoting studies to reinforce a point.
– The principles covered in the book may also be used by Christian believers in the business and other nonprofit world.
Excellent read and will a helpful future reference and recommended. I was given a review copy by Kregel Ministry in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.