M Taylor posted an update 2 weeks, 4 days ago
“Inalienable” is a great read for anyone interested in the current state of the evangelical church in America. The authors bring several years’ experience and different perspectives and yet agree that the American evangelical church needs a wakeup call and bring people of different ethnicities and backgrounds to the table without compromising biblical integrity.
Around 200 pages, the authors cover many good points, including:
– The American church’s tendency to exalt the rich and famous while ignoring the common and unknown.
– American Christians’ struggle to see believers from other countries as equals in the faith.
– Global Christianity is becoming less American and European (indeed, the greatest growth is in Africa, Asia, and South America).
– Excellent description of the many idols in America.
– Everyone, regardless of skin color, economic background, or culture to precious to God.
– While American evangelicals rightly oppose abortion, they also need to focus on supporting the expected mother – get off your blessed assurance and don’t just get laws passed and think you’ve done your Christian duty!
– The struggle for American evangelicals to let politics, not the Bible, be the foundation for their beliefs and actions.
– How we are changed by the Great Commission.
A timely, convicting, and enlightening read. Recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.