M Taylor posted an update 10 months, 2 weeks ago
“Buried Talents” by Susan Howell is a good read for anyone wanting insights on how to make a wise vocational decision while not caving into the expectations of the church and outside the church. Around 140 pages, the book covers many topics, a few of which include:
– How Jesus Christ treated women positively compared to how they were treated by others.
– Suggested techniques for self-exploration.
– Discusses how schools and other cultural forces socializes people in gender-specific ways so as to prepare them for particular vocations. In today’s world, we see both male and female in the same vocation.
My thoughts after reading much of the book:
– While an academic title, the book is relatively easy to read and understand – not overly technical.
– Very helpful bibliography for further reading.
– Well organized and good flow from chapter to chapter.
– Helpful charts and tables.
– Covers many relevant topics.
Overall, a good read and recommended. While apparently target towards women, men can learn some things also. I was given a review copy by IVP Academic in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.