M Taylor posted an update 1 month, 2 weeks ago
“40 Questions About Arminianism” is another great entry into the “40 Questions” series by Kregel Academic and focuses on the teachings of Jacobus Arminius and how the teachings compare with Calvinism. The title is almost 400 pages and covers several topics addressed as a question. Some of the topics covered include:
– Background on Jacob Arminius.
– What is Calvinism.
– Did Christ die for everyone and does God want everyone to be saved.
– How can God be sovereign if people have free will.
– Unconditional/conditional election.
– Whether the Book of Hebrews teaches on apostasy.
– What Arminians believe about free will.
These are just a few (7) of the questions addressed (40) in the book. After reading several chapters in the book here are my thoughts:
– Gives a thoughtful portrayal of Arminianism and how it compares to Calvinism.
– While an academic read, a layperson can understand the title and its contents.
– Well organized and not a choppy read.
– Covers many relevant topics and clears up misunderstandings some people may have about Arminianism.
– Very helpful Scripture index that are relevant to the topic being addressed.
– Title does not belittle people, regardless of their belief about Arminianism and Calvinism.
– Good reflection questions at the end of each chapter.
Very good read for an academic class, personal study, or small group study. Again, another great entry into the excellent Kregel “40 Questions” series on relevant biblical topics. An excellent reference and will be used in the future. Highly recommended. I was given a review copy by Kregel Academic in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.