M Taylor posted an update 2 months, 3 weeks ago
“The Gift Of Disillusionment” by Peter Greer and Chris Horst is a great read for believers who need a reminder to serve the Lord in His power and strength instead of their own fleshly effort. Around 200 pages, the book addresses many topics and here are some of the takeaways I got from the title:
– Friendly reminder to stop trying to serve the Lord in your strength. Instead, rely on His power working in and through you to minister to and serve others for His glory.
– While idealism can be good, it can be made into an idol when we rely on ourselves instead of God.
– Be careful of cynicism that can set in when idealism is shattered and we realize we cannot manufacture success in our flesh. Don’t fall into the trap of hopelessness and that everything in the world is negative and we give up.
– No matter your vocation, God can use you wherever you are.
– Be careful of turning inward so much you focus solely on yourself and forget about the hurting world around you.
The title contains many examples of people being used by God to minister to others in Jesus’ name in various settings: education, business, government, foster homes, nonprofit, etc.
Some good things about the title:
– Biblically based (uses the Book Of Jeremiah as the background for making many points in the book).
– Easy to read and understand.
– Good organization (well-written and flows smoothly from chapter to chapter).
– Many good reminders to serve in the Lord’s strength instead of our own.
– Some good spiritual and practical advice.
Good read and recommended. I was given a review copy by Bethany House in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.