M Taylor posted an update 6 months, 2 weeks ago
“Restless Devices” by Felicia Wu Song is a great title for anyone who wants to better use technology without using their personhood. The author covers many pertinent points, including:
– The double-edged sword impact of technology on society.
– Negative effects of heavy tech use.
– Various ways technology can affect our relationships.
– How taking a break from technology (short-term or long-term) helps use see how technology affects our human identity.
– While we were created for communion with others, we are settling to only connecting with others on social media.
– Thought-provoking questions to ask yourself in determining how technology is affecting your life.
– Suggestions for how to manage your attention.
– Ways God’s nature and presence in our lives can be overlooked when we focus too much on technology.
What I like about this title:
– Great coverage and width of topics related to technology.
– While an academic title, is pretty easy to read and understand.
– Smoothly transitions from chapter to chapter (does not bounce around without any rhyme or reason).
– Good practical and spiritual insights.
– Very timely and relevant read.
Highly recommended and will be read again. I was given a review copy by IVP Academic in exchange for a fair review and appreciate teh opportunity.