M Taylor posted an update 5 months, 2 weeks ago
“Struggling With Evangelicalism” by Dan Stringer is a good read and account of a pastor’s struggle whether to stay or leave the Evangelical tent. Around 180 pages, the book is a mix of autobiography, history, theology, and experiences of several people with the evangelical community. Some of the topics covered include:
– The different categories of evangelicalism.
– Evangelical “brand” vs. evangelical “space”.
– The pros and cons of evangelicalism (I’ve been an evangelical most of my life, plan to stay evangelical, and believe he has accurately described the pros and cons of the community).
– Suggestions for strengthening evangelicalism’s strengths.
– Ways appreciate evangelicalism.
– Importance of individual and communal repentance in evangelicalism (indeed, there are things the evangelical church needs to repent of and if our great country is to ever experience another true revival, it must start with God’s people).
– Ways we can improve evangelicalism by staying in the community.
After reading the book, here’s what I like:
– Thoughtful read by someone who is not out to just criticize and condemn evangelicalism (seems to be a popular topic nowadays), but someone who truly wants to see constructive improvement in the community and willing to do his part.
– Easy to read and understand.
– Good flow from chapter to chapter.
– Good mixture of theology, history, the author’s experiences, and experiences of those who have experienced feeling like an outsider.
– Good footnotes and reference section.
While one may not agree with all of the author’s points and conclusions, the reader will be challenged and encouraged to learn more about evangelicalism and for current evangelicals to stay in the camp and make positive and lasting change. Good read and will be read again.
I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.