M Taylor posted an update 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Whether a seasoned pastor, a new pastor, or someone contemplating the ministry, “The Flourishing Pastor” is a great read. The author, a seasoned pastor, shares many insights and experiences for those either in or praying about going into the ministry. Around 240 pages, the author addresses many topics, including:
– 5 important guideposts for the pastoral journey.
– Importance of spending time in obscurity before being in a more public ministry.
– Pastors need to focus more on being led by the Good Shepherd rather than how well they lead.
– importance of self-care (we can easily get so consumed with serving others that we forget about ourselves!).
– 5 marks of effective shepherding a congregation.
– 4 pastoral realities in Psalm 23.
– Being continuously aware of God’s presence positively impacts relationships.
Here’s what I like about the book:
– Easy to read and follow.
– Full of excellent spiritual and practical insights.
– Covers many relevant topics.
– Helpful discussion guide for personal or group study.
– Very helpful footnotes and references for further study.
Very good read and will be a helpful future reference. Highly recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.