M Taylor posted an update 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Whether a pastor or layperson “Don’t Blow Up Your Ministry” is a great read for anyone wanting to exercise biblical self-care in their life lest they fall, damage their life, and negatively affect those around them. While addressed to pastors, the book may be applicable to laypeople (after all, any follower of Jesus Christ is a minister!). Around 175 pages, many of the points covered include:
– Reasons why pastors can become workaholics.
– 4 challenges facing pastors.
– 3 largest root cause of problems in pastoral ministry.
– The importance of intimacy with Jesus Christ and setting boundaries with others.
– How pastors try to add to God’s call on their lives (and therefore, complicate their lives and those around them).
– Steps to realizing our identity in Christ.
– Common indicators and characteristics of pastors who burn out.
The book is a great read, full of spiritual and practical insights, flows smoothly from chapter to chapter, and will be a very helpful future reference. Highly recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.