M Taylor posted an update 5 months, 3 weeks ago
“A Spacious Life” is a good read for anyone tired of trying to satisfy our culture’s demands and expectations that constant activity and busyness equals a satisfied and meaningful life. While the author is certainly not advocating laziness as a way of life, we need to avoid the other extreme of constant activity with no time for God, family, friends, etc.
Around 150 pages, the book covers many relevant topics, including:
– God can use our unique limits for His glory (realize that instead of trying to be Superman or Superwoman in your own strength, learn to depend on God for wisdom and energy to do what He’s called you to do).
– Use your limits to rely on God instead of depending on technology.
– Forced waiting challenges us to reckon with our identity (time to think about life).
– Waiting time isn’t wasted time when we depend on God.
– The danger of trying to earn our worth.
– Rest is the antidote to hurry and hustle.
– Workaholism and distraction reflect little faith in God in His ability to provide.
– Saying no opens the way to saying yes to the best.
– Jesus spent much of His time in quiet and solitude.
What I like about the book:
– Easy to read and understand.
– May be completed in a few sittings.
– Good spiritual insights and practical suggestions.
– Smooth transitions from chapter to chapter.
– Author’s writing is not choppy or disorienting (easy to follow).
Recommended title. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.