M Taylor posted an update 2 months ago
“A Field Guide For Genuine Community” is a great read on an important topic that is often mentioned in church but not really applied consistently – having true friendship and discipleship in the local church. Having been in church most of my life, I can attest that the results of having true fellowship and discipleship in the local church is sorely lacking – many people attend church sporadically, attend only the worship service and not Bible study/Sunday School, and cliques that make people feel unwelcome. While some in the church may think that you must have either friendship or discipleship and not both, I reject that line of thinking, know that both are very important and know many examples of Bible verses prove that both are important. Since this review is on a book and not a mere listing of Bible verses to support my statement, now to the review.
The book is around 200 pages and addresses many topics:
– The importance of being yourself in church (while you can fool people, you cannot fool God!).
– Needing to stick with your group during good and tough times.
– Examples in the Bible of discipleship and fellowship.
– 3 reasons why discipleship and fellowship in the church has not reached its potential.
– How believers can shepherd each other well.
After reading the book, here’s what I like:
– Appreciate the honesty the author shares in why the church is not doing what it needs to do.
– Title is easy to read and understand.
– Smooth flow from chapter to chapter.
– Good suggestions for improving discipleship and fellowship in the church.
– Excellent mix of spiritual and practical insights.
Really like this book, will read again, and recommended. I was given a review copy by Moody Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.