M Taylor posted an update 3 months, 3 weeks ago
“Reading The Times” is a great read for anyone needing relief from the constant barrage of news headlines that demand our attention in an attention-deficit age. Around 180 pages, the title covers many topics, including:
– How the news fragments our thinking.
– Spending so much time on the trivial (i.e. the news) negatively impacts our intellect and quite frankly – dumbs us down.
– Being distracted by headlines can keep us from actually making positive contributions to changing the issues covered by news headlines.
– The danger of groupthink that headlines can produce and encourage.
– The importance on focusing more on the eternal instead of the temporal.
– Trusting in God protects us from being overly emotionally involved with today’s issues and events.
– The importance of taking breaks from news headlines and focusing more on meaningful activities (solitude, time with God, time with friends, hobbies, etc.) .
These are just a few of the topics covered. What I liked about the book:
– Easy to read and understand.
– Written from a Christian worldview.
– Practical suggestions for dealing with media overload – not just a theoretical book.
Very good read and will be read again in the future. Recommended. I was given a review copy by IVP in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.