M Taylor posted an update 1 month ago
“Wisdom From Babylon” is a great read for followers of Jesus Christ to engage the world without becoming like the world. Indeed, in a day and age when Christians either totally withdraw from culture or become like the culture, this book is a very timely read. Around 180 pages, the author addresses topics as:
– 4 main responses Christians have towards the culture.
– God’s judgment starts with His people.
– Describing how voices from post-Christian Europe have engaged the culture.
– How the messages of Old Testament prophets are still very relevant today.
Many, many other topics are covered – the ones listed above are just enough to whet the reader’s appetite. There are many things to like about the title:
– Very readable. While written by a university president, the title is easy to understand and is not full of empty theoretical concepts the average reader cannot understand or relate to.
– As mentioned, like the variety of topics covered.
– Very well organized book: the author includes voices of wisdom from the early church, minority churches, and even secularism.
– The book is organized into two main sections: 1)understanding the times we live in now and from times past, 2) the church having the capacity for engaging the culture without becoming like the culture (hint: the church needs to act as the moral conscience of society).
Enjoyed reading the book and will read again. Recommended.