M Taylor posted an update 1 month, 3 weeks ago
“The Other Half Of Church” is a great read on how the human brain relates to spiritual stagnation or growth in the Christian believer’s life. Just over 200 pages, the book addresses many issues, including:
– How joy is such an important part of the Christian believer’s walk with Jesus Christ.
– There is a place for healthy and constructive correction in the church – avoid the extremes of always judging others or always acting like everything is okay when things are not okay.
– The importance of healthy relationships in the church that are necessary for spiritual maturity – this was my favorite chapter in the book.
– Beware of narcissism in the church (particularly in leaders) that threaten healthy spirituality.
– How people grow into spiritual maturity.
– How and why the human brain is so important in spiritual growth.
– Churches with stronger relationships also have higher levels of biblical discipleship.
The book is well-written, easy to understand, and contains excellent information on developing healthy discipleship in the local church. As mentioned above, the chapter on healthy relationships was my favorite chapter. It’s been my personal experience that when I was in a healthy church that emphasized good relationships, my spiritual maturity grew. I appreciate the authors’ honesty in stating that this is often lacking in churches when leaders emphasize numbers and achievement at the cost of messy and loving relationships. Great read and recommended.
I was given a review copy by Moody Publishers in exchange for a fair review and appreciate the opportunity.