M Taylor posted an update 1 week, 6 days ago
In a day when more Americans are realizing the “American Dream” has become a nightmare, “The Good Life” is a good read on seeking values and happiness based in Jesus Christ. Around 220 pages and based on Jesus’ Sermon On The Mount, the book covers many topics, including:
– The futility of chasing happiness and meaning apart from Jesus.
– Mourning over personal and national sin brings us closer to the Lord.
– The Lord wants us to live with humility instead of arrogant pride and self-sufficiency – doing so results in a happier and more fulfilling life.
– The importance of thinking about and serving others instead of being so self-obsessed.
– In a world short on mercy, we need to extend God’s grace and mercy to others, even when we do not agree with their actions or beliefs.
– Being persecuted because we are being godly (and not acting like a jerk) gives us favor in God’s eyes.
– Importance of being a peacemaker and not just a peace lover.
The book is well-written, smoothly transitions from chapter to chapter, and has a good balance of biblical insights and practical suggestions. Will read again. Recommended.