M Taylor posted an update 3 months, 2 weeks ago
“Don’t Overthink It” is a good read seemingly targeted mainly towards women, but men can learn something too. The book addresses the tendency to think too much about something to the point we do not take positive action and are paralyzed by our fear and inactivity. Just over 200 pages, many topics are covered, including:
– Signs of “analysis paralysis” and its causes.
– Suggestions for dealing with analysis paralysis.
– Ways our values impact our thinking.
– Knowing when it’s time to make a decision and move on.
– Strategies to halt overthinking when it appears.
– Ways to streamline decisions (making decisions easier so you don’t overthink).
– Importance of rituals and routines that can discourage overthinking.
The book is well-written and contains many good practical suggestions for dealing with the tendency to overthink a situation. While we do not need to be simplistic about every situation (some situations do require gray matter), we also do not need to make life unnecessarily complicated. Life presents enough challenges – we don’t need to add more because of overthinking.